Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Thoughts: A Response

Your back was to me. I tried to call out. 

I did.

But you didn't turn my direction. You didn't even stop walking. I didn't know what else to do. I don't want to run after you. 

I silently prayed for you to stop.

"Hey!" a small voice called out.

It was sweet, warm, and soft. Like a feather making ripples on the water. Light. Soothing. 

You stopped.

Should I be relieved?

You turned.

Should I be happy?

You made your way toward her. Not me. Towards her.

She smiles. Opening her arms wide she beckons you forward, and you comply. Steps are more hurried, as if you couldn't wait to be enveloped in her warmth; to entangle your fingers in her strands, pulling her close... very close. The rest of the world fading into nothingness... including me.

I watch as the scene before me tears me apart. 

I feel something trickle down my cheek. I ignore it. I manage a smile.

I turn away, not looking back. Content with knowing that you are happy...

Even though it's not with me.

No comments: