Monday, December 10, 2012

Thoughts: Shifting Out

Sometimes, you can’t help but be part of the audience.

Unsuspectingly, you become part of it.

Helping myself to a Mcflurry with Oreo Overload, I watch intently: family reunions, friends conversing over piles of fries, and couples spending time together, just talking about who knows what, in tables situated by the corners or near a wall or window. 

These are strangers interacting with one another as music plays softly in the background. The rest of the world just fades away as they drown in each other’s presence.

I can’t help but think how many people I have yet to meet in this planet. I have yet to have them in my life, and I have yet to be in theirs.

“What are they talking about?”

“If I had lived differently… if I was a different person, if my parents hadn't met, by a sliver of chance would I have met these people before me now?"

What would it be like if I did?

A lot of what-ifs.

One can't help but ask "What if...?" every now and then we find ourselves asking. 

"What if it didn't happen?" 

There a number of things that could have been and a number that couldn't. You just have to remember that you are not in control. 

You have never been. 

If you were, would there be such a thing as the unexpected? Unexpected meetings with people you would have least expected to become a part of your life, to have their names on your pages. Their faces, character, everything about them, etched in your memories. Chances you never knew that would come your way. 

You never know how things turn out in the end, whatever decision you make. You might have planned your whole life before you, but there's no guarantee that you'll follow it through.

I guess this is where the problem lies in all of us. We tend to look back and think life would have been better IF we chose the other.

How sure were you it would have been?

Could it be that you're here now for a reason?

There must be. 

There must be a reason why I'm not with those group of people in front of me, laughing at something I have no clue about. There must be a reason I'm not that girl cuddling with the guy at the corner. There must be a reason why I'm here, alone in my seat, eating McFlurry and typing away in my laptop.

Yes, things might have been a whole lot different, there's no denying it. But I don't know if it would have been better. What was important was that you decided, it was your choice alone and you stuck to it. You walked from point A to B. There's a reason you walked. There's a reason why you didn't stop. 

And nothing will stop you until you find out why.

No comments: