Thursday, December 13, 2012

Dialogue

The leaves rustle. Branches sway. The sky was jet black with specks of starlight. The moon shining brightly. It was full.

Lying in an open field was a boy and girl. The girl was wearing a white shirt underneath her worn out jumpers. Her hair was a chestnut brown, a darker shade in the night. On her left was a boy, his hair just as black as the night sky. His complexion was fair, very fair, practically glowing under the moonlight. 

She
What do you think?

He regarded her at the corner of his eye.

He
About what?

She
Me?

He
What about you?

She
Is there something wrong with me?

He
Now what makes you think that?

She
Is there something wrong with me? I asked you first.

He
I refuse to answer.

She
Why won't you answer me?

He
Because there's nothing wrong with you.

She
There isn't?

He
None.

She
...

He
Your turn to answer.

She
What?

He
Why did you ask?

She
Just curious. No particular reason.

He
I've known you for so long... enough to know that you're lying. What made you ask?

She
Who said I was lying? It's not my fault you don't believe me.

He knew that there was nothing else he can do about it. She wasn't going to tell him why. Something was wrong.

She
How was your 'date' with Sally yesterday?

The emphasis on the word was not lost to him. It was only until then did she flop on her stomach to look at him. Interested was she.

He
It was fun. We went to see Uncle Drew. She got herself a new wheel for her bicycle. And it wasn't a date.

She
It wasn't?

He
It wasn't.

She
Oh...

He
Why do you want me to be with her so much?

She went back to her usual position now. Her eyes fixed on the twinkling lights.

She
...

He
Why?

She
Is it wrong for me to think it?

He
Can't it be with another girl?

She
You don't like Sally?

He
It's not that I don't like her... I can't... I just can't be me with her. 

She
You just need to spend more time with her that's all. You'll like being with her in time.

He
...

She
What?

He
I don't get you at all...

She
Hm?

He
Nothing, nothing.

They continue on in silence. Lost in their own thoughts. One did not dare push the subject any further. 

It was fear.

It had always been.

Neither one of them wanted to risk it. They would just have to be content with what they have... with what they share. 

Content.

But are they?

No comments: