Saturday, December 25, 2010

Dialogues





I don't know why… but I always find making dialogues a lot easier than making stories. Maybe it's because when I find a scene involving two people, everything just seems to center on how those two are connected. May it just be the briefest of glances or hour-long conversations, the scenery takes a backseat in the whole thing.

I was inspired by The Matrix script and figured that I should just finish what I started. ^^
So here's something I wrote a week ago. Nothing much really. It's basically about a woman finally having the courage to confess her feelings to a guy, even though she knows that it would only be a one-sided love. Typical romantic theme (yeah… I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff). Haha.


Her
Can I talk to you for a second?

Her voice is a tad bit higher than normal, in order for him to hear her above the din. He looks at her. There’s a hint of urgency in her voice. He smiles and nods.

Him
Sure.

They come out through the fire exit. It was snowing, and the only light source was the light bulb above them. He was wearing slacks and a dark blue polo, clad in a heavy khaki brown trench coat. He manages without a scarf. She was wearing thick black leggings, black boots, a navy blue button-up coat, a gray scarf and a black beanie. Her cheeks are red from the cold.

Him
What's wrong?

She moves away from him, her face barely illuminated by the lamp light, but he can still make out her features.

Him
Are you cold?

Silence.

Him
Did something happ-?

Her
I love you.

He is taken aback by the straightforward confession. Her eyes were averted, apparently fixed on a garbage can on his right. Her actions abandoning what she was trying to display: a gutty female.

Him
Oh.

He smiles. He is aware of the gravity of the situation.   

Him
I'm flattered, but… I'm sorry. I can't feel for you the same way.

Tears stream down her face. This takes him by surprise. The last thing he wanted was to make a girl cry.

Him
Why are you crying?

She wipes away her tears.

Her
Because I'm frustrated! I know you wouldn't but I still am hoping you would!

Him
I already have someone. You do know that don’t you?

She nods.

Him
Then why-?

Her
I don't want to regret. I don't want to slap myself in the face one day, saying that I should have done something.
  
She stops crying.

Her
I'm telling you now because I’m afraid of getting hurt. I don't want to misinterpret your actions thinking that what happened tonight is the reason behind them. If you choose to ignore me or avoid me, at least I won't be here. It would be less painful for me.

Him
What makes you think I would do such a thing?

Her
It is one of your options in dealing with this.

Him
Whatever happens I would never ignore you.

Her
How can I be sure?

Him
You should know by now that I’m not that type of guy…

Her
How would I know? The mind is complex. I would expect you to do something, but you have the option to do another or something out of character.

Him
Then that just means you don’t know me all too well.

Her
I’m sure about one thing!

Him

Her
I know you're annoying!

Him
Hey! Wait a minute!

Her
And even though you are I STILL love you!

Him

She sighs, closing her eyes. One can see a cloud of smoke escape from her lips. Snowflakes get caught on her eyelashes. He doesn’t make a sound.

Her
You seldom finish the things you started, but when you want something, you do everything you can to get it. You're kind, you're smart, mysterious, confusing, and sweet. You make me smile with the least effort. You're a man of few words, but you don't always need words to get your message across. You're reserved… calm… but sometimes bursting into a dam that leaves everybody shaking.

She laughs softly, opening her eyes. She takes a step towards him. He doesn't budge an inch.

Her
You make me want to do more, be more… you make me better. There are so many things about you that I haven't quite figured out yet, and those should be enough to stop me from liking you. But… I can't…

She takes another step forward. He stands still.
 
Her
You're like a magnet… and I hate it!

She looks away.

Her
But I can't do anything to stop myself. It's annoying.

She closes her eyes. She's looking the other way. She sighs.

Her
I know you like her. And I bet she likes you too.

She reverts her attention back to him and smiles.

Her
She's lucky.

Him
I’m sorry…

She smiles and nods.

Her
Good-bye.

She goes back inside through the fire exit, leaving him standing underneath the dim light.

Okay… so I WAS able to add in some details in the end. Haha! Hope you like the short… dialogue. :D I might make more of these in the near future (when I have the time).

No comments: